Thursday, December 18, 2008

Recession Selling

This is my very first Blogger post, and i want it to be great. I know it will only get two views today (if you count mine while I'm writing it and my loyal wife). I have less experience than many of my peers and colleagues, but I have a lot more passion and stick-to-it-ive-ness. Tony Robbins would say Passion can substitute Experience, so I'll take it.

I care about people and I don't want to lie to them. Some would say that bars me from being a successful salesman, but I couldn't care less and I don't wish to hang around those people anyway. The payoff for me (which holds secondary importance to the clean conscience I have) is the relationships I create with customers and other business owners.

I may not be good at pushing people into buying, I do often get calls from people ready to buy.

How many voicemails do you get that sound like this:

"Hi, {agent name}, I just called to let you know I have the credit card information and the copy information for the ad. Call me back when you're ready to take it."

Closing deals over the phone has gotten harder. This is because of the dishonesty in the sales world, especially in the phone sales world. Am I a telemarketer? Absolutely not. Am I a sales professional who uses the phone to sell? Yes I am. As such, I have the same challenge as everyone else. It's not new, it's just more popular right now.

The Economy!!!

There are plenty of reasons to be cautious in a time like this. Money is tight, consumers are keeping their wallets closed, and us business owners still have to pay bills.

This would be a perfect time to talk about how we market to owners by talking about the importance of advertising during economic downturn. Only the strongest survive, blah blah blah.

How are YOU protecting your bottom line? Are you letting the hard times get you down? Are you talking yourself out of sales?

Always build your leads, always refine you selling strategy. Cold calling tips are abundant and sales coaches will always have steady work. At the end of the year when sales are slow anyway, take time to brush up on techniques. The 2009 Sales year can be great, but only if you show up prepared.

No comments: